Tuesday, November 2, 2010

2

The bags continued to float outside the windows of the spire. A few of the younger students began to cry. Jarrod looked at his watch. Only 25 minutes remaining now. Next he had fire class, and it was the fire professor that he was hoping to impress the most, so that he might be able to fulfill everyone's expectations of him.

"Does he really expect us to be able to fly?" a student asked.

"I've only been here for a few months!" another student whined.

"This is bullshit!" Angry complaints flew around the room.

Pietro moved close to Jarrod. "I don't think we're meant to fly." Pietro whispered.

"What? How else can we get our bags back?" Jarrod asked.

"Well, flying is a pretty advanced air spell. I know Professor Avir seems to be missing a few marbles, but I doubt he would be asking academy students to attempt something like that. There must be another way to get the bags."

Jarrod stared out the window. The bags were well out of arm's reach. "Maybe we can make something to reach the bags!"

"Hey everyone! Let's try to make something long enough to reach the bags." Pietro yelled. Everyone turned to look at him. "Come on! We only have about 20 minutes before we have to get to our next class." There was a shuffle of movement as people looked around the classroom for long objects.

"OK, let's bind them all together." Using shoelaces, they began to tie everything together. Pietro turned to another student. "Harold, you hold this end, and I'll hold this one. Let's try to rake the bags in. Everyone else, try to grab the bags as we bring them closer." Getting the makeshift pole into place, Harold and Pietro bent the pole to try and drag the bags in, but as soon as the poles moved close to the bags, the bags shifted further away.

"What is this? As soon as we get close, the bags move away!" Harold exclaimed.

Looking at his watch, Jarrod realised they had only 4 minutes to retrieve their bags. "There must be something we can do."

"There is no way we can learn to fly." stated Harold. "It's impossible. It usually takes an air student 5 years to master flying. We can't do it in 5 minutes."

Jarrod heard a sigh from the other side of the room. "I guess you aren't ready yet." Professor Avir stood up, and Jarrod felt the air magic leave his body. The bags floated back into the room, as Professor Avir exited.

"Ready? Ready for what?" Jarrod demanded, but it was too late, Professor Avir was too far to hear.

"What was that about? I've never seen him like that before. He's always so cheerful." Pietro said, as they walked towards their next class.

"None of us could be ready for flying. We don't even have air runes. His magic could hardly sustain thirty people all flying at once, I don't know what he expected of us. He's insane." Jarrod reasoned.

But Pietro wouldn't give up. "There must be something more. Professor Avir's lessons are never as straightforward as you think. Remember that time we were asked to get twenty coats from the mountain villagers, and we tried so hard to create a strong wind to blow them off, but all we had to do was warm the air up?"

"I don't think there was anything more to that. He was either being incredibly hopeful that he'd fine the next air prodigy, or had just given up on us all. Anyway, it's fire time!" Jarrod grinned. They walked down the stairs into the tunnel. "I always feel so warm down here."

"That's because there's a river of lava!" Harold laughed. "I really don't understand why you like fire so much. It's my least favourite..."

"Good afternoon, Professor Ogon!" Jarrod said, eagerly, interrupting Harold.

"Jarrod, my favourite student! How are you doing?"

"Not bad, not bad. I have something I'd like to discuss with you after class, if that's OK."

"Sure." Professor Ogon turned to the class. "Hello everyone. Today we're going to continue what we were working on yesterday, so to your stations!" Jarrod felt a flare of warmth on his face that signaled the flow of fire energy entering his body.

Fire was always a comfort for Jarrod. He always felt as though it was in his blood, just like his father, so why didn't he have a fire rune yet? The reminder that he hadn't yet acquired rune depressed Jarrod, but after the air class, he realised he couldn't keep waiting for an opportunity to be offered. He was a good student, he studied hard and was a fast learner, he didn't belong here in the academy.

After the class, he said goodbye to Harold and Pietro and approached Professor Ogon. "I picked up Lohmer's Of Fire and Firestones like you suggested last time, it was a really interesting read. Especially the use of firestones as a catalyst for the birthing cycle."

"Ah, one of the lesser known uses. Probably not a very useful one, due to the high mortality rate of the children."

"Probably why its only mentioned very briefly towards the end, and there isn't much research in this area."

"I'm glad you have such an interest in fire, Jarrod. Following in your father's footsteps, I see."

Jarrod smiled. "That's what I wanted to talk to you about. I think I'm ready to go to fire school."

"I can see that you're quite talented, but there is just one problem. You don't have a fire rune. It means you aren't ready."

"But I am! I know more than anyone in this class, I know more than most second year fire students. I'm a fire mage, I can feel it!"

"I'm sorry, Jarrod, but you know what it means when you don't have a rune. You can't create your own fire magic. Do you think you can be as great as your father relying on the magic of others? I understand that it's frustrating, but just because you have the knowledge doesn't mean you have the capability."

"Maybe I'm just a late bloomer."

"Let me ask you this, Jarrod, how does it feel when you have fire magic in you?"

"Feel? It's the most amazing feeling. I feel so warm and relaxed. I feel in control. I feel like nothing in the world can go wrong."

"And that is why you aren't ready."

"I don't understand."

"What do you think of when you think of a fire? Fire is warm, and comforting, but it is also destructive. A real fire mage has to feel and understand both. The fact that you don't seem to realise the destructive power of fire means that you don't understand it. I am glad that you have a passion for knowledge, and I encourage it. Still, I can't send you to fire school until you have a rune."

"I only have 3 more days. Then I turn 18. Magic is my life. I don't know if I can live a normal life."

"Unfortunately, magic hasn't seen you fit to be granted a rune. I'm sorry, but there is nothing I can do to change that. We still don't understand why some people are sensitive to magic and some aren't, and we still don't understand why being sensitive to magic doesn't necessarily mean you will be able to create magical energy. Look, how about I offer you a place as a research student? You have an immense knowledge of the historic and current fire research, and you are a fast learner."

"I don't want to be a research student! I can do more than that! My father is a decorated war mage, he has done so much for our country. He single-handedly held out against the crow soldiers for 2 days until reinforcements arrived. He...."

"I am well aware of your father's military exploits, Jarrod, but the fact of the matter is, he has a fire rune and you do not. I don't want to discourage you, I really don't. You're a great student, and you would make a great mage. I just can't send you to fire school. Now you should head to the cafeteria. Need to keep that energy up!"

Jarrod opened his mouth to argue, but Professor Ogon held his hand up to silence him. Jarrod turned around and walked up the stairs.



3313 / 50000 words. 7% done!

No comments:

Post a Comment